When I discovered I was going to Australia, you can bet I was ecstatic. But before I could have my summer down under, I had to get there. When I booked my flight, I was so excited about the price that I didn’t realize how much I would hate myself later. My travels plans were as followed…
- 1.5-hour drive to Orlando airport EARLY in the morning (thanks to my boyfriend for driving me)
- 2.5-hour flight to Chicago
- 3-hour layover
- 15-hour flight to Shanghai
- 7-hour layover
- 10-hour flight to Melbourne
My flight back was close to the same except I went from Shanghai to JFK and then down to Tampa. In total I spent almost two days traveling each time, but I survived. As someone with anxiety, such a long flight did make me worry. I have found that a good way to combat my anxiety is to be prepared, so I would like to share my wisdom with others.
What to Pack in Your Carry-On
- Wipes- for when you want to shower but can’t or for those dirty planes/airports
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Makeup- Personally, I don’t wear makeup when I travel, but if freshening up will make you feel better, go for it.
- Advil, ibuprofen, tums, etc- Carry any medications you may need to help with anxiety, headaches, upset stomach, or any other common ailments you suffer from.
- Prescription medicines- Make sure you have enough for a few days in case your checked bags get lost.
- Extra clothes- This is for both if your luggage gets lost and if you want to change.